R2 – Responsible Recycling
The R2 Standard is the leading global certification standard for the electronics reuse and recycling industry, originally created with guidance by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
What is R2?
R2 was developed by a multi-stakeholder group – the R2 Technical Advisory Committee (TAC). The R2 standard establishes responsible recycling practices for the recycling of electronics globally. By certifying to this standard through an accredited third-party certification body, electronics recyclers can help prospective customers make informed decisions and have increased confidence that used electronic equipment would be managed in an environmentally responsible manner.
Certification to R2 allows electronics recyclers to highlight their value to customers, employees, their community, and the public.
R2 Business Benefits
- Promotes safe and effective recovery and reuse of electronic equipment and materials
- Guards downstream control of the recycling chain
- Minimizes environmental and public health risks
- Demonstrates compliance with domestic and international laws
- Minimizes liability and encourages reduced insurance costs for recyclers
- Assists original equipment manufacturers (OEM’s) with due diligence for their end-of-life electronics
- Instils public confidence through certified third-party review
- Downstream recycling chains – traceability (downstream suppliers must provide exact names and locations of facilities handling recycling until final disposal).
How does R2 relate to other ISO Standards?
The R2:2013 Standard is the leading global certification standard for the electronics reuse and recycling industry, originally created with guidance by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The R2 standard can be broken down into 4 separate categories:
• Security / Data Destruction & Sanitization
These categories touch on important aspects that can be found in ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001. The requirements in the R2 Standard are designed to protect people, protect the environment, protect data, and preserve resources in the disposal of electronic waste in a sustainable manner.
How does my business gain R2 Certification?
Legal requirements for your facility may be required by international, national, regional and local regulations. You will be required to identify and document all environmental, health & safety, and legal requirements at all levels that are applicable to your facility and business.
Downstream vendors must provide exact names and locations of facilities that will be handling focus materials until final disposition.
Why should my organization gain R2 Certification?
Achieving the R2 standard demonstrates that your company is serious about delivering responsible recycling practices through tested processes. Internally, ISO standards provide focus and discipline and externally, you will achieve credibility, authority and recognition.
To find out how IMSM can help your business to take off through R2 compliance, contact us today to arrange a consultation with your local IMSM Area Manager.
For a free Quotation or On-Site presentation by an ISO Specialist, contact us today!
IMSM Inc USA Headquarters
888 Prospect Street
Suite 200 La Jolla
California, CA 92037