We can now help with R2 – Responsible Recycling!October 19th, 2018 By Olivia Franklin
IMSM can now help your business to be R2 compliant! The Responsible Recycling Standard (R2) is the leading global certification standard for the electronics reuse and recycling industry, originally created with guidance by the Environmental Protection Agency. R2 was developed by a multi-stakeholder group – the R2 Technical Advisory Committee (TAC). The R2 standard establishes responsible recycling practices for the recycling of electronics globally.
Why choose R2?
By certifying to this standard through an accredited third-party certification body, electronics recyclers can help prospective customers make informed decisions and have increased confidence that used electronic equipment would be managed in an environmentally responsible manner. Electronic waste is a growing concern as it produces an estimated 25-50 million metric tons each year – many containing hazardous materials that require special processing to dispose of correctly. In the US all federal agencies are required to dispose of electronic waste through a third party recycler with R2 certification.
What is R2 and how does it relate to other standards?
The R2:2013 Standard is the leading global certification standard for the electronics reuse and recycling industry, originally created with guidance by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). R2 standard can be broken down into 4 separate categories:
• Security / Data Destruction & Sanitization
These categories touch on important aspects that can be found in ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001. The requirements in the R2 Standard are designed to protect people, protect the environment, protect data, and preserve resources in the disposal of electronic waste in a sustainable manner.
What are the benefits?
Some of the benefits after obtaining an R2 include:
• Promotes safe and effective recovery and reuse of electronic equipment and materials
• Guards downstream control of the recycling chain
• Minimizes environmental and public health risks
• Demonstrates compliance with domestic and international laws
• Minimizes liability and encourages reduced insurance costs for recyclers
• Assists original equipment manufacturers (OEM’s) with due diligence for their end-of-life electronics
• Instils public confidence through certified third party review
• Downstream recycling chains – traceability (downstream suppliers must provide exact names and locations of facilities handling recycling until final disposal).
How can IMSM help?
We offer fixed free, low risk, world class consultation. To find out how IMSM can help your business take off with R2 compliance, contact us today to arrange a consultation with your local IMSM Area Manager.
For a free Quotation or On-Site presentation by an ISO Specialist, contact us today!
IMSM Inc USA Headquarters
515 S. Flower Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90071