How you can become ISO 9001 certifiedMay 15th, 2023 By Amywright
ISO 9001 provides the step-by-step framework you need to streamline your company’s day-to-day processes, providing innumerable benefits as a result. When implemented an continually upkept, ISO 9001 can improve customer satisfaction, identify your employees’ roles in alignment with your company vision, enhance decision-making, and boost your reputation.
It should be noted, however, that obtaining ISO 9001 can be a lengthy and time-consuming process, the extent of which being highly dependent on the size of your company and the industry you are operating in. Often, it requires a significant investment of resources and company-wide effort. This blog will explore the steps involved in obtaining ISO 9001 certification and provide tips on how to make the process seamless.
What’s the process of getting ISO 9001 certification?
Obtaining ISO 9001 certification is often a time and resource-heavy undertaking, and it is a process that will take place over time. Given the extent of its impacts, ISO 9001 certification is a decision that requires careful consideration. Still, the positive changes it introduces ultimately make it a worthwhile undertaking that spares no areas for improvement.
The first step is establishing a quality management system that meets the requirements of the ISO 9001 standard. This typically involves identifying and documenting all processes and procedures involved in all company operations. The quality management system must then be implemented company-wide, ensuring all employees are trained in the new processes.
The next set of steps in gaining ISO certification are to conduct internal audits based on the quality management system’s effectiveness and amend non-conformities. Trained internal auditors conduct these audits which involves reviewing company processes to identify areas of improvement. Once these are corrected, a certification body is selected to lead the external audit, which determines whether the requirements for ISO 9001 certification are met. The audit typically involved documentation reviews, employee interviews, and the observation of process in real-time.
Before certification is received, any outstanding non-conformities are reviewed and amended. Once this is complete, the business then becomes ISO 9001 certified, which it can use to promote its commitment to its quality management system. A wealth of benefits is seen as a result – this is because the certification acts as an emblem, displaying your dedication to good practice and future improvement.
What are the requirements for ISO 9001 certification?
Some requirements for obtaining ISO 9001 are:
- Having an applicable quality management system – Your company’s quality management system, once it has been documented and implemented, must be designed to meet the requirements of the ISO 9001 standard. This needs to cover each of the organisation’s processes that affect the quality of its products and services.
- Measurement, analysis, and improvement – To maintain certification, companies must monitor and measure the performance of their quality management system to identify room for improvement. Corrective and preventative measures must also be taken to address non-conformities and improve the quality management system’s effectiveness.
- Management of resources – Your company must manage its resources, such as personnel, infrastructure, and equipment, to ensure the quality management system can operate effectively.
- Realisation of products and services – Your company should implement processes to ensure products and services meet customer expectations efficiently. The upkeep of this is important, too, as customer demands in all industries are constantly changing.
- Responsibility of management – Top management must be committed to quality and must demonstrate this commitment by allocating the necessary resources – namely time, personnel, and funds – to ensure the quality management system is implemented effectively.
How can I become ISO 9001 certified?
If you’re interested in ISO 9001 certification, we offer a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable advisors. Our proven, straightforward approach to achieving ISO certification offers flexible options that make the process as simple as possible for your business.
For a free Quotation or On-Site presentation by an ISO Specialist, contact us today!
IMSM Inc USA Headquarters
515 S. Flower Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90071