What is ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation?May 9th, 2023 By Amywright
ISO/IEC 17025 is a globally renowned standard that provides the requirements for testing and calibrating laboratories to demonstrate their technical competence, quality management, and ability to produce accurate results.
It provides a comprehensive framework that specifies the requirements for the competence, impartiality, and consistent operation of laboratories, and is applicable regardless of scale or number of personnel. In short, if a laboratory is ISO/IEC 17025 accredited, it has been found competent in its adherence to the standard’s framework, which provides a wealth of benefits for those who have obtained it.
Independent accreditation and certification bodies are responsible for evaluating, testing, and inspecting laboratories against the standard’s requirements so that certification can be obtained. These requirements primarily concern the laboratory’s technical competence, the adequacy of its equipment and facilities, the proficiency of its personnel, and the effectiveness of its quality management system. IMSM can provide your organisation with consultancy and implementation of an ISO/IEC 17025 management system and will then refer you to an appropriate third-party body to provide the accreditation suited to your needs.
Accreditation according to ISO/IEC 17025 provides assurance to customers and stakeholders that the laboratory can provide reliable, accurate testing, and calibration results. Because the ISO/IEC 17025 standard is so widely acknowledged and accepted, it serves as an indicator of a laboratory’s technical and managerial proficiency, as well as its compliance with international standards. It shows stakeholders that certified laboratories are equipped with the necessary technical expertise, equipment, and quality management system to guarantee accurate and reliable results.
It should be noted that ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation is not only indicative of good practice, but in many cases, a minimum requirement. In the process of finding suppliers and formulating partnerships, it is commonplace for ISO/IEC 17025 to be treated as a prerequisite for doing business.
What does IEC stand for?
IEC refers to the International Electrotechnical Commission, which is a non-profit, non-governmental entity that develops and publishes international standards electronic technologies. They work alongside the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) to develop and publish international standards, hence their presence within the standard’s name.
What’s the importance of ISO/IEC 17025?
ISO/IEC 17025 is not just an industry-established emblem of quality management; in many cases, it is also a minimum requirement in business relations. Laboratories must be focused on leveraging technological advancements to drive innovation in many vital areas, such as clinical testing, drug development, and disease surveillance. The absence of necessary certification to prove this may constrain your potential prospects. However, if you get the accreditation, you can assure that you are adequately practicing the following things.
- Test result confidence – ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation provides confidence in the accuracy and reliability of test results. This is important as inaccurate or unreliable data that informs decisions can have serious consequences, including product recalls, safety issues, and legal disputes.
- Ensuring technical competence – ISO/IEC 17025 allows laboratories to demonstrate their technical competence in performing tests and calibration to a reliable, accurate, and consistent standard. It ensures that the appropriate equipment, facilities, and trained personnel are present.
- Improving quality management – ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation requires laboratories to implement a quality management system that ensures continuous improvement and compliance with international standards.
- Meeting regulatory requirements – Many industries and regulatory bodies require laboratories to be ISO/IEC 17025 accredited. This is because it demonstrates compliance and is an indicator of quality and good practice.
- Reputation enhancement and competitive advantage – Accreditation enhances a laboratory’s reputation and competitiveness by demonstrating technical competence. It also provides a competitive advantage by giving customers confidence in the laboratory’s ability to offer reliable and accurate test results.
I’m interested in ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation
ISO/IEC 17025 is an industry-renowned standard that is indicative of good, accurate practice. It demonstrates that laboratories are taking the correct measures to ensure accuracy, technical competence, and quality management. Applicable organisations should consider the advantages it brings, as well as its frequent necessity as a means for conducting business. In summary, ISO/IEC 17025 is a powerful accreditation that conveys a great deal of professionality to all types of stakeholders.
If you’re interested in ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation, we offer a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable advisors. Our tried and tested approach offers flexible options that make the process as simple and straightforward as possible, all while promoting best practice and future improvement.
For a free Quotation or On-Site presentation by an ISO Specialist, contact us today!
IMSM Philippines Corporation
28th Floor, Tower 2,
The Enterprise Center, 6766 Ayala Ave.,
cor Paseo de Roxas,