Is ISO/IEC 17025 relevant to your business?October 6th, 2021 By Kaytieduffield
ISO/IEC 17025 was introduced in 1999 by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and is the internationally recognised standard for laboratory competence. However, what exactly is ISO/IEC 17025, and how is it relevant to your business?
ISO 17025 helps give your clients and supply chain absolute assurance of your integrity. The standard identifies the high technical competence and management system requirements that guarantee your test results and calibrations are consistently accurate in laboratory environments.
What is an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory?
An ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory is a laboratory who has completed their ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation and meet the international standard for laboratory testing and calibration by demonstrating their technical competency and ensuring the accuracy of their results
ISO/IEC 17025 is one of the most significant accreditations for all types of laboratories, universities, and research development centres performing tests and calibration. An ISO/IEC 17025 accredited lab includes management and technical requirements that enable a testing or calibration laboratory to claim their technical competency, certifying that the results are consistent and accurate and were generated using industry-standard protocols.
What is the purpose of ISO/IEC 17025?
The ISO/IEC 17025 is a benchmark of excellence for laboratories across a multitude of business sectors. These include automotive, cosmetics, universities, microelectronics, petrochemical, pharmaceutical and power generation.
Consistency and accuracy are top priorities for testing laboratories; however, several variables could cause unreliable results. Possible factors that contribute to inconstant outcomes could be:
- The instruments used (which could be uncalibrated or unmaintained)
- Unique laboratory environmental factors
- The competency of the employees performing the test
ISO/IEC 17025 Laboratory Competency enhances the reliability of testing and removes any areas which could lead to manipulation of results or fabrication of potency to increase market value.
ISO/IEC 17025 verifies your laboratory’s ability to produce reliable testing and calibration data, as well as appropriately handle and transport test items. ISO/IEC 17025 evokes customer confidence, reduces expensive retesting, and helps your laboratory compete in international markets
Why is ISO/IEC 17025 important?
- ISO/IEC 17025 can boost your laboratory reputation in domestic and overseas markets, introducing new trade opportunities with international acceptance as a quality laboratory, as well as saving time and costs.
- The standard demonstrates your commitment to operational efficiency and quality management practices.
- ISO/IEC 17025 outlines the robust quality controls for choosing authentication methods, analysing statistics, and control data.
- It verifies the quality, capability, and expertise of your laboratory.
- Helps evaluate staff, methods, equipment, and reporting to guarantee test and calibration result validity.
- ISO/IEC 17025 increases staff accountability and outlines individual responsibilities.
- It eliminates the need for independent supplier audits, saving time and money.
How do I get ISO/IEC 17025?
It all starts with a free consultation with one of our experts. We will establish through our initial discussion the best way to meet your and, by extension, your customer’s requirements by providing a fully tailored, fixed-fee quote with a simple, flexible client agreement.
A brief overview of the IMSM process:
- Free consultation and initial discussion of ISO and IMSM
- Initial Assessment (GAP Analysis)
- Production of Documentation
- Accreditation through assessment by a National Accreditation Body
For a free Quotation or On-Site presentation by an ISO Specialist, contact us today!
IMSM New Zealand Ltd.
The AIG Building,
41 Shortland Street,