Demonstrating a rigorous approach to occupational health and safety is vital within today’s legislative environment. Although legal compliance to the raft of occupational health and safety legislation may be sufficient, businesses with a company-wide commitment to managing the health and safety of their staff stand out from the competition.
Health & Safety
The IMSM Guide to
The Road to
Our health and safety policy was very robust, but this has now been tweaked to conform to ISO and is stronger as a resultScott Carr, Toureen Mangan
What is BS OHSAS 18001?
OHSAS 18001 is a British Standard, rather than an ISO and is designed to work alongside UK health and safety legislation. Like ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 it is a generic standard that can be applied to businesses of all sizes; it is based on the idea of embedding systems and processes, tailored to your business, that define how health and safety issues are managed across the business.
The standard promotes a safer working environment by heightening adherence to your health and safety policy and procedures at all levels of the organisation. As well as looking after your most valuable asset – your employees – BS OHSAS 18001 gives potential clients assurance of your effective risk management procedures and full regulatory compliance.
How will BS OHSAS 18001 help my business?
A fit-for-purpose health and safety policy that is assessed as BS OHSAS 18001 compliant demonstrates due diligence, good governance and a competent management committed to health and safety in the workplace. Other benefits of the standard include:
- Improved performance and morale of your employees
- Improved efficiencies in health and safety budgeting for costs such as training, ensuring that money is well spent and related to real needs of the organisation
- Greater reassurance of stakeholders that you are taking all reasonable steps to protect the business against damage to your reputation and breach of legislation
- BS OHSAS 18001 is increasingly a pre-requisite for companies wishing to tender for contracts within certain industries.
Like other standards, BS OHSAS 18001 is not a one-off exercise. Regular reviews keep health and safety at the forefront of people’s minds, reducing your risk of non-compliance and demonstrating due diligence.
Why do I need certification?
Third party certification of your health and safety policy and procedures provides independent verification and credibility of the quality of your systems.
How does my business gain BS OHSAS 18001 certification?
Generally organisations start their ISO journey with ISO 9001, as this puts in place quality management procedures that can be extended and developed to include health and safety.
The certification process is very similar to ISO 9001, working on the principles of:
- “Say What It Does” – document day to day operating procedures and systems
- “Do What It Says” – work in accordance with those procedures and systems
- “Prove It” – with a certification audit which confirms, from records, that the procedures and systems meet the requirements of BS OHSAS 18001 and are operated in accordance with the Standard.
How can IMSM help my business gain BS OHSAS 18001certification?
We work alongside your existing health and safety professionals to work out the most effective way to implement BS OHSAS 18001 in your business. This may include presentations to your senior team, training and support on production of policies and manuals.
With a fixed fee and flexible approach, our assessors are focused on making standards work in your business.
Find out more!
Find out more about SSIP and how it could work for you alongside BS OHSAS 18001
Read about the Impact BS OHSAS 18001 can have on businesses
Read about our approach to making it simple, with our simple steps to ISO certification
Read about the IMSM difference and our experienced assessors
Take the next step, and meet an assessor for a no obligation assessment of your businesses needs